Tuesday 16 December 2014

Goodbye, Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily!

I just finished the final Pretty Little Liars Novel, Vicious. I finished it on the GO train and started crying, it is the end of an era. I started reading the books in 2010, my friend had told me about this awesome series that had been made into a television show. So one day I was at Costco and I picked up the first novel, little did I know that novel would have a great impact on me.

I since read all the next 7 novels: Flawless, Perfect, Unbelievable, Wicked, Killer, Heartless and Wanted. I would buy them and then pass them on to my best friend to read them. After that it was announced that there would be two companion novels, Pretty Little Lies (an Xmas novel) and Ali's Pretty Little Lies. Then after the success of the television series, there came 8 more novels: Twisted, Burned, Ruthless, Stunning, Crushed, Deadly and now Vicious. 

There was something about these novels, I could never stop reading. They got released within a span of every 6 months and I would count down the days until the next one came out. I would run to my local chapters the second it opened and would start reading that day. It was the ultimate treat to me. 

These novels were groundbreaking, they starred very relatable characters, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, Spence Hastings and Emily Fields. It is very hard to find YA (Young Adult) Mystery-thriller novels, that have not single dimensional characters  (characters known for only one personality trait). Every single one of these characters I could relate to: Aria with her love for culture and art, Spencer the overachiever, Hanna the ultimate girly girl and Emily the athlete. They felt like my friends: I've known them for years from high school to university. They are all smart and thinkers and they stick together. They are the epitome of friendship. They all had something that linked them: Alison DiLaurentis. Although Ali brought them together because they were all outcasts this occurrence is the core of their friendship. All friendships and relationships are like that, they all have a connecting factor whether it's being in the same classes or having the same interests. the best part was  the mystery of who was A and how there were two different ones: Mona and Ali.

I had a friend like Ali in Middle School just like the PLLs. She was mean and made fun of my clothes but she was fun to be around, just like Ali. Just like Alison she was manipulative and strived for perfection. Maybe thats the factor that makes me relate to the PLLs so well. Just like them when you end your friendship with something like that, like Ali it is a relieve.

I am sad that the series has come to an end. PLL was a big part of my life the one thing that I also looked forward to and the thing that always connected me and my best friend. From the series I learned a lot. And I can't complain how it ended, I couldn't have written it better.

Although I watch the television series religiously, it was the plot within the books that I preferred and value the most.

Thank you Sara Shepard for writing these novels. They were so relatable and groundbreaking, allowing young women to experience the mystery-thriller genre through characters that were more than relatable. I look forward to reading the second  Perfectionists novel due in the spring.

So Goodbye Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily enjoy your life-A

Next Article: Hillary's TV PICKS

No comments:

Post a Comment